Interview: Frank Artus Shares Life Story

Interview: Frank Artus Shares Life Story.

Frank Artus

Frank Artus

Born of an Egyptian father and Liberian mother, Frank Artus came all the way from Ghana to be a part of Nollywood. The fair-complexioned actor came with high expectations and he has not been disappointed, as he has hit gold in Nigeria.

In an exclusive interview with The Entertainer, the star of Heart of a Widow opened up on his war experience and why he so much believes in Nollywood. Excerpts:

Background

I was born in Egypt. My father is an Egyptian while my mother is a Liberian. We are three in number, one girl and two boys. I grew up in Liberia mostly. It was at the age of 12 to 16 that I moved over to Liberia. I stayed in Tanama where I had my high school education; I studied Human Resources in AME University, Monrovia. I also studied Computer Engineering.

Growing up

My growing up was fantastic. I grew up as an introvert. I wasn’t the type that played with friends. I was only comfortable playing with my toys, and my mum. I was so shy to the extent of not being able to answer questions in the class. I’m not from a poor background. Then, my mum was working with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) while my father has always been an international businessman. I think my childhood was fun, not as bad as some people’s stories I’ve heard. Though, I can’t say I was born with a silver spoon, I knew I always had whatever I wanted.

Parental support

My parents supported me hundred percent; all they needed from me was to make a decision because I had other opportunities of doing other stuff. My mum wanted me to go into her line of business, my dad also wanted me to go into his line, but then I just decided to go this far and they said if that’s what I wanted, it’s okay with them. They supported me.

Challenges

I went to Ghana in July 29, 2009. So, I started my career from there. The basic challenge I faced in Nollywood is my accent, the way I speak. I was somehow denied playing some characters because of the way I speak. But nevertheless it was a challenge. Because it’s my career and this is what I wanted to do, I tried as much as possible to make sure that I get rid of the accent and speak like others when I am shooting a Nigerian scene.

The real Frank Artus

Artus is simple, humble, intelligent, down to earth, and above all a God fearing person. He is contrary to what you see on the screen, he’s not what you see on screen. I try to do all these things on screen because it’s what people like to see. They like to see it and we do it because it is the business part of our career. It’s not that I fancy romancing, kissing and doing all those things in my film. It is something that I hate doing to the core. It’s not that I like to be aggressive, because the Artus that I am, I can’t even hurt a fly so, there’s no way I will want to hurt anybody. But because it’s on screen, I had to do it.

I remember when I was shooting Heart of a Widow”, I had to stab uncle Ken and then I was doing it with so much aggression that you could see tears coming down my face. If you had seen me you would think that I am very wicked. But I don’t like playing such wicked roles.

On Nigeria women

Nigerian women are beautiful. They are just beautiful ladies generally that’s what I will say for Nigerian women, they are beautiful. I can never compare Nigerian ladies with Ghanaian or even Liberian ladies. Like I said, you have responsible beautiful ladies in Nigeria, likewise other countries. That’s all.

Passion for acting

I always knew I wanted to be a star. When I left Liberia, I wasn’t coming to Ghana to do another thing, I came to Ghana purposely to act and besides that, the passion I have for this business has been so hot and I didn’t know what I was going to become.

How to be great actor

What makes you a great actor basically is creativity; you have to be creative that’s all. When you are creative, you can always learn to develop. You watch other actors on screen, you see them having their fun, but you have to take some things from what they have done, add them to the one you have, mix it up and then it gives you a different kind of flavor and people will like it. When you are constant, you become a character, you become a brand and your acting becomes peaceful in the viewers’ eyes and then they will see you as a good actor, you yourself will know that you are a good actor.

Craziest thing a fan did to me

It was actually a girl who tattooed my name, ‘Artus’ on her hand. It was the craziest one so far that I have seen.

On female admirers

I handle my female fans with care and respect. They go out there to buy my films and keep me ruling. I give them a lot of care and respect except for those that don’t have respect for themselves; those that don’t have good manners. Some might be like ‘okay, I am in love with you’, I will say ‘okay, sweetie, I know you are in love with me, but I am not in love with you right now, just let’s be friends’.

On being sexy

No, I am not sexy. The thing is that I am not a sexy person, but in terms of me being sexy on screen, you know, this is show business that’s why sometimes we pull off our shirts and you see our chests, we go to gym and exercise because that is what the viewers want to see, they want to see you looking cute and sexy and for them you have to look sexy, but that doesn’t mean that you have to be sexy. Looking sexy is the platform to liking sex and most people believe that maybe what I portray on screen is what I am, most people are like ‘ah, that Ghana boy knows how to make love, he turns me on’ but on the contrary, if you come to me, I am not sexy or romantic at all. It is just acting.

On acting nude

Yes, I can act nude in a movie to perfectly interpret a role. I’ve sold my soul to acting, so I can practically do anything. I’ve said this before, I can act nude as long as the storyline is good enough, and the money is worth it. I like perfection. For every movie I do, if it’s not perfect, it should at least be close to perfection. As far as I’m concerned, acting is my life. I’ve given all I have to acting. I shot a movie like that already, it was a standard movie because I had some good actors in it. I shot it last year and I did something like that in it.

Most embarrassing moment

I don’t think I have any.

On being gay

No, I’m not gay. It is just speculation. I have never done it and I will never do it. All the people that are saying it, I say Holy Ghost fire (Laughs).

On being rich

I wish I’m rich. This is just my second year in Nollywood. So, I am not rich but Nollywood has contributed a lot to my life, I won’t lie. They have paid me well. I know what Artus Frank was years back and what he is now so, Nollywood has seriously contributed to my life.

On Liberian war

The war in Liberia was horrible. It was a war obviously and it was not something anybody will enjoy, but we had to live and do everything we could to survive but not to the extent of picking in the streets, begging for alms and killing. Maybe there were days we had to look for food to eat. You know, whenever there is war, there is shortage of food. Did I join them to fight? It was a tough decision. For instance, nobody asked some people to fight but they got up and went for it but for me, I was advised to stay back.

There was this day I was coming with my friends, we were three and we went to look for food. We got the food but when we were coming back, a missile bomb was fired at us. It cut the neck and ripped opened the intestines of my friends. I was the only one that escaped alive.

Credit: sunnewsonline

1. gaylove saygbah says:

hi frank Artus I hope I can meet u some day in life.i want 2 be ur friend not anything more.thank miss gaylove saygbah but everyone call me love

2. Thats was a very gr8 inteview, i like ur responds we love u ya, don’t mind bad belly people. Hahahaha ejoor oh lol

3. Hi frank be who u are and never change lol

4. Nana Akua says:

hi Frank dat was a great interview u jux did.dunenn eva mind wat pple say. dey re jux enemy of progress….lool. i reali luv de way u act in a movie. i lyk ur creativity, confidence n everythin u do. i wish to meet u sam day. n hpe to be frnds wid u. Gud luck Frank…..

5. MR. Guandah kruah alias GiO superstar says:

Yo artus keeping lib but not ghanain .we liberian got ur back

6. Frank u knws how 2 act especially at romatic role carry on don’t stop

7. I thought ur a GHANIAN, gur ur very gud in everytin i hope see someday

8. TROKON R.SMITH says:

Frank,people are saying that your father is not of Egyptian it’s because you have cash so you chose area that you like to be.

9. jennifer owusu ansah says:

Am so so happy for u bro,nd we tank God for ur life during de war am so inpress, go on with ur life, is de will of God be happy nd stay bless, am grad to be ur friend luv u

10. Quin charles says:

Hi frank i love u in person n ur acting,keep it up n God will guide n bless u.i pray 2 meet u someday in life,i love u

11. Abdul’ ) 9ce 1 dare daz very kind of you just keep it up…wit ur proffesional way of acting

12. melisa boyd says:

hi frank i think that you are a good actor and you need to try and work it out with your wife instead of divorcing her and start being faithful you are a lucky person surving the war it is good that you are god fearing you should give god thanks and dont say you sell your sold to your career because people will think sonething else and you should create a fb page where people know that it is really you because they are a lot of fake facebook page of you am from jamaica and i support your film alot and for the record you are sexy lol my # is 1876-434-1361 incaSE you wANT TO TALK JUST AS A FRIEND BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT MY TYPE NO OFFENCE

13. Frank you are doing a good job keep the flag flying

14. sandy dalton says:

hey frank i like ur acting spirit keep it up and bullshit what some people would say you are an actor and so must act.my fiance and i are both acting too and so we know what it means so the show must go on.keep it up.

15. Stella Gift says:

My Name is Stella.Am 4rm Nigeria.A student of Nsunka. My Arm of writing dis is 2 tel u dat i luv ur way in acting flim.Ur antions.D way u spoke infant i lik everytin abt u.Keep it up.God bless u.I wil lik 2 be an actor lik u.Dis is my country.07065015343.

16. Moses Pakker says:

i believ what ever u say u are a handsome guy and can not do what people are saying and i lnow that u are doing for money and God will surely guide u agaist bad people

17. From blessing in nigerian says:

Frank i most say u are so good and i tank god for your life

18. Hi Frank, i must confess i love ur personalities, confidence, creativity eapcially interms of romance ehnn u no carry last atall… Keep it up i luu u

19. patience allotey says:

from the bottom of my heart, u r a really, really good person, and i love u for that. May God give u good health, long life and happiness in everything that u will do, hopefully one day we shall meet in Ghana by his power.

20. FRM OPAREBEA says:

May God grt ur heart desires.frank i lyk de way u act, keep it up.

21. hi hope you are fine I wish I could meet you kiss you hug you sleep with just for fun not meaning something want to try it I am guy

22. can you call me on phone cause I don’t have an account in any communications eg facebook mynumber +26771236577

23. hi frank artus want you to call me please on+26771236577 wish all the best and merry Christmas and happy new year

24. I tnk he is dating Gene.

25. Priscilla says:

Hi frank.i lyk ur acting.may god guide u and grant ur wishes 4 u.i want 2 b ur friend nt anytin bad.please call me +2330247803243

26. Prophet Emmanuel says:

4r me i,will say dat always fear God nd pray so dat u not go in 2 temptation nd always b creativity.

27. CLAUDIA FENTAH says:

28. It’s well. Keep it up

29. I so much like u Arthus

30. Hi frank u great ,i thank God for ur life. I ll like to talk with u ,i love u 4rom my hrt.p/s call me 08063545439

31. Ruth Hammond says:

i really like your acting spirit .well i also want to go into acting.kindly call me 0544824224

32. lindsay says:

I love acting,i was one of those who said those naughty things about u,now i know u better.pls keep it up

33. Princess annabel Frank says:

I like your way of acting frank,and you are handsome for that girls will follow you but, mined the ones you follow.

34. YODO YOLO says:

U are a good actor Frank i wish i could be as good as u are and thank u for making as laugh am ur big fan and ever hates u most be going mad everyone out there i know about loves ur movies keep making as proud and make ur self proud to and hope u enjoy ur life very, very thanks a lot

U ar a gud actor artus keep fire blazing without limit i lyk e way u act i really really lyk ur romantic movies especially money never sleep from zimbabwe

36. priscilla says:

Hi frank am priscilla infact i like de way u act in movies esp when acting with mercy johnson.

37. Essoh Pamela says:

hi Frank, i dont have time to write much. But just know for now that everything you said in your interview did not correspond with your lifestile. If you want to know more contact me with (+237)51480243

38. Ella mercy says:

Hi mr frank i love your acting, God first before anything else .be bless

39. mr frank says:

U are a good actor. Forget about gossips an move on with your life and career. Don’t do things to please human. Please GOD first and your self. Keep up ARTUS FRANK. call me +2348067148308

40. Emmanuel D. Boakai says:

Keep doing the good job artus ,we are watching & enjoying u

41. I love u my friend

42. 4rm nickki says:

Standing on d existing protocols……. Mr frank u re a nyc nd indeed 1daful actor. Kip it up bt u got to share d money johr. Lol Love 4rm nickki

43. Hello frank how r u doing hope all is well with u well am sending this message to u because somebody been using ur name on Facebok saying they are frank I been sending this person when I started questions this person he told me that his name was Martin . I live in the us here is my # 6309303358 I pary to hear from u pls .

Am realy impressed frank, of the bomb cutting 2 friends of urs but u were saved, i tink GOD has a future plan 4 u, stay blesed

U are too much Frank, keep it up by his grace u would go higher and higher

U are too much Frank, i know u are a young man who is much determine industriou and couple wit ur results realisation attitude.

47. ememobong Nyah says:

I so much luv ur act esecpially princess ekaman u juz act I mean Efik movies,I luv it.

48. u are a great guy says:

gud speech

49. mercy Cameroon says:

Gr8 interview.
    Pray God grants you the grace to excel in everyway.
    But please don’t sell your soul to your career ohhh. Dnt know how you meant that, but it dsnt sound nice…

50. Yh i luv yracting skills bt jst hp wat ppl r sayn abt u is nt true keep it up in case u wnt to talk to me hala me on 0543415955 coz i wil lk to be yr friend

51. Paul Lyrical says:

Datz rily u, I wanna be lyk u someday

52. Artus i really like you and wish to be like you but i don’t know how

53. Hi frank im krystal from jamaica just want to say i admire u and the movies u make u are a good role model so keep it up. Just listening to u speak through ur story makes it even easier to relate to u i too love acting but never tried,one of my dream is to meet all the famous and hardworking ppl who inspire me and u are surely apart of that group.keep on being urself make good movies and remember u inspire many other young females like myself. “Wink&thumbs up”

54. Keep it up frank

55. 08107104789 says:

Frank,like seriouly i love ur way infact everything,whenever am watching ur movies i put more interest keep it up,God bless u,if u dont mind 08107104789

56. doir nice ib says:

Am really impressed. Keep it up

57. Lucia in SA i dnt care wat u doing all i knw is dat i lv u in every whr n i cry whn u act a bad part lv u Frank

58. chinny Esther says:

in d nearest future by GOD’s grace, I might become an actress and I wish to act wit gr8 minded actors like u Mr Artus.
    More grace to u as u accomplish ur career, Boss Frankie

59. SO NICE KEEP IT UP DEAR

60. katy braxton says:

Com’on bro KEEP IT UP !!!

61. Wow. Artus u are good. Keep it up.

62. Anike Makena says:

Chitz Frank…I wish to be lyk u n even more…I pray to God to bless me with someone like you! I JUST LOVE YOUR MOVIES!!!

63. jerome bigboy says:

you are my role model …..i believe you,you are the best so far
    thumbs up for ya (y)

64. Mr. John says:

Hello this Mr. John a producer in the Nigeria Movie industry. I am here to announce to those that are interested in becoming a Nollywood superstar that the opportunity is here once more to get the most of your talents. So I will be getting 32 actors and actresses upcoming directors, editors, producers, story writers., u into the movie industry this year, so please if you know that you are talented in this aspect, I will like you to contact me on my mobile number 08163548273 or contact me on st.mathewscholarshipcompany@gmail.com

65. pherlyx marseille says:

Mr.Artus i really love your perfection,in fact i’m speechlees but you are my role model and i know that 1 day i will be the second Artus..May you excel in life..

66. hi artus don sell your soul to anything except you God.i love yr acting,,,keep it up and make lib proud

67. Gh Prince says:

I really love all your movies especially on the romantic and craziness role…

68. HEY ARTUS I REALLY LYK THE WAY YOU ACT..JUS KEEP THAT FIRE BURNING